It’s pretty obvious why so many personal injury attorneys have conflicted feelings about law firm television advertising. Just think about those 30-minute spots, as ubiquitous as they are awkward. The heavily made-up lawyer stands in front of a bookcase. He states the name of his firm a dozen times, insisting that they are the toughest, smartest firm around. A voice-over repeats everything, and the phone number flashes at the bottom of the screen.
Maybe you count out the specific reasons a spot like this won’t be effective, or maybe you just have a sense that it won’t really work. Either way, practices everywhere churn out ads like them and plaster them all over daytime TV.
Television is an ever-more difficult advertising medium. In spite of this, law firm television spots can be a pivotal marketing resource, helping you engage and recruit personal injury prospects and new cases in ways that no other medium can.
The trick is using the television, not letting the television use you
Here are some of the big “don’ts” you want to keep in mind before investing law firm advertising funds into television spots:
- DON’T ignore the competition. Keep your enemies close, if only to learn from their mistakes.
- DON’T say what everyone else is saying. Be aware of what’s out there and craft a message that is carefully targeted and memorable.
- DON’T make the ad about you. Focus on your book or your website as a resource for more information about the problem your potential client is having.
- DON’T use prefabricated ads created by a television station. In fact…
- NEVER let a station write the script for your commercial.
- DON’T let the station use your budget as a “starting point.” Get their sales team to work to your budget.
- DON’T forget to use tracking URLs and tracking telephone numbers in place so you can analyze your conversion rate.
- DON’T start running ads until you have a follow-up system in place for prospects who visit your URL or calls.
Are you on the hunt for better personal injury marketing ideas? The experts at Great Legal Marketing can help! Call (703) 591-9829 to review your personal injury marketing strategy with one of our talented consultants today.
Find more information FREE at our website, including a full-chapter preview of The Great Legal Marketing Book by Ben Glass, the small law firm advertising pioneer!