In the business world, it seems like some people just have “it” and others don’t. Some people can just skyrocket up the ladder and run a company like they’re spending pennies for a dollar. So if you haven’t made it in the first try, it’s time to give up, right? Of course not; some experience can only be gained by failing. Other things can be learned and worked on without the joy of failure.
Here are some keys to being successful in the marketing world. These are attributes that successful entrepreneurs exhibit, and you can work on.
- Success can be predicted by the company you keep. Look at the people you hang around most. If most of them are successful, hard working, productive members of society, you’re more likely to be heading in the right direction.
- Working for a profit is business. No one is in business to lose money. You’re allowed to make money for the hard work you put into your business or law firm. You can help people along the way, but don’t lose focus on helping yourself first.
- Be greedy! …with your time. Time is the one commodity that you can never get back and people can’t give you. People can only take your time, and you shouldn’t let them waste it.
- Success is good for everyone. If another law firm fails and goes out of business, that might be good for you in the short term. But healthy competition can be good; and a failed company isn’t good for anyone.
- Take responsibility. Don’t blame the competition, judges, the economy, or anything else for failure. Own up to your mistakes. If you always point the finger, you won’t realize that there are things you can improve upon, which will help you in the long run.
- Challenge industry norms. These are the way things are, but why? Challenge what has always been done, and you can rise above the competition stuck in the ruts.
- You can pick and choose your clients. Why pick a client whom you don’t believe in, or you don’t even like? They’ll find another lawyer, and that’s fine. Pick clients you think you can work with, and you will both be successful.
Successful marketing is made in the classroom, and it’s not always a born quality. These are attributes that you can work on and add to your marketing strategy to become a more successful business. If you have more questions about how to get your name out there, contact an experienced marketing expert who can help you rise above. Ben Glass offers advice on marketing strategies, and you can order a free chapter from his book online.