According to the American Bar Association, there were 1,143,358 lawyers practicing in the United States in 2007. In 2009, nearly 53,508 new lawyers took the bar exam. With so many attorneys in our society, consumers are faced with seemingly endless choices for their legal representation. As a result, law firm marketing strategies must focus on differentiation. The following is a list of tips for how a law firm can stand out in the crowded sea of legal professionals.
- Highlight prior career experiences which set the lawyer apart from other professionals. For example, if a practicing personal injury attorney once worked as an insurance claims adjuster, highlight the fact that the lawyer has “insider knowledge” of how insurance companies operate.
- Discuss technological applications that the law firm offers that benefit clients, and that few other firms utilize. For example, if the firm hosts its clients’ files on the cloud and makes those files accessible to clients at their convenience, make that fact known. Clients can review their own files to see what work is being done on their case.
- If the firm has won significant cases with high damages, or cases that were well publicized, make that fact known.
- If the firm has received a high ranking by an organization, highlight that point.
- Interview previous clients and ask what factors sets the firm apart from others that they considered hiring.
- Highlight specific niche areas of expertise if the law firm handles cases that few other firms will take on. For example, if the firm has experience representing military families and handling the unique issues that these clients face, make this known. Another example is for intellectual property lawyers to highlight previous experience in the engineering field, or for tax lawyers to highlight previous experience working as a CPA.
- Provide an overview of the firm’s billing practices if they are unique. For example, if the firm offers flat-fee billing for its services, some clients may appreciate that the fee expectations are set up-front, unlike with other firms who bill hourly.
Differentiation is an important key to running a successful attorney marketing campaign. Fortunately, the law firm marketing experts at Great Legal Marketing are here to help. Fill out our online form or call our office at 703-591-9829 for more information.