Great Legal Marketing coaches many attorneys on their marketing. We meet a lot of hard-working men and women ready to grow their business. Most attorneys want that "magic marketing solution" that will turn their business around overnight. But, it is not that easy. You can't commission a jingle, or invent a mascot, which will magically grow your practice. Getting more paying clients is much more complicated than that. A complex problem requires a complex solution. Any attorney who isn't willing to put in the important effort won't find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Why Is Growing Your Practice Such a Complex Undertaking?
You have a product—your legal expertise—and an audience—people in need of your legal expertise. However, our service is different from other small businesses out there. We can't invent a new way to practice law.
With all the lawyers out there, and more and more of them struggling to find work, it is difficult to stand out. If you want to grow your practice, you have to overcome many obstacles. Here are a few examples:
- There are a lot of lawyers competing for the same client dollar. Your small town may have only one bagel store, but it may be home to dozens of attorneys!
- There are only a limited number of ways lawyers can advertise their services. TV commercials, YouTube videos, an ad in the Yellow Pages...what else can you think of?
- Lawyers are subject to intensive regulation by state bar committees. A lawyer can't ethically promote a sweepstakes or raffle to drive in customers!
- The marketing landscape is competitive. People are bombarded by advertisements for clothes, cars, and food. How much attention can they pay to your marketing efforts?
- You have to change your own attitude toward the law. It's one thing to bring in new clients; it's another thing to manage your time and resources so you can keep them.
"What Can I do to Stand Out?"
The simplest advice we can give is "do something different." That is easier said than done, but there are some ways you can get started. Keep in mind, we may not be able to advertise like other industries, but we can learn from other industries!
- Look at what your competitors are doing. You will find that most of them are offering "free consultations" and "no fee if no recovery." Know that if you do the average, normal thing, you will get average, normal results.
- Talk with other business owners. Look at successful small businesses in your hometown, your state, or even national businesses! Study how and why they got successful, and use what you learn.
- Join a mastermind group. Great Legal Marketing top-tier members all know the value of a mastermind group. You can start your own in your area. Invite local business owners from other industries, and even attorneys you don't compete with. When you meet, you will be surprised by what you can learn!