It’s easy to lose your way thinking about all the different variables in your legal marketing campaign. You’re going to have a lot of ideas thrown at you—what to do, what not to do, what to do if something’s not working… It’s a lot of information, and many attorneys find themselves throwing in the towel before their websites are even online.
The key to building a successful law firm marketing plan is not to give up. If you get lost, feel frustrated, or just plain feel like a failure, you can re-center yourself with these seven guiding principles. Everything you do should be influenced by one or more of these items.
Here are the seven rules for your legal marketing mantra:
- Good, effective marketing is complex. You must realize that there is no “easy button” for what you’re trying to accomplish. There will always be ups and downs.
- You choose your clients. As the attorney, you will ultimately decide who will come through your door. Don’t be fooled into thinking this works the other way around.
- Automation is key. A good database should automate many of your marketing aspects for you. If you’re struggling for free time, your system may not be working.
- Perfect your “inbound media.” Your clients will be looking for you on the Internet first, everywhere else second. Make it easy for them to find you by taking advantage of as many online resources as you can.
- Optimize. You must make it your business to understanding and implement search engine optimization tactics. If you can’t find your site, your customers won’t, either.
- Make them raise their hands. Your entire marketing goal should move toward getting the customer to contact you for more information.
- Be relentless in your follow-up. Once you have a customer’s contact info, you should be calling, emailing, and sending them helpful, low-pressure reminders on a regular basis.