You might have heard the phrase “education-based marketing.” You might even know what it means. But are you fully aware of the benefits of education-based marketing, especially the benefits for attorneys, lawyers, and law firms? Here are five big ones:
- It creates more informed customers, who will make more informed decisions. You’ve probably gotten far too many calls from potential clients who simply don’t have a case. Or you’ve probably wasted far too many hours answering basic legal questions over and over again. With educational marketing, you can create more informed customers who already know the answers to frequently asked questions and who have already read your book, saving everyone time and money.
- It avoids the unpalatable hard sell. The aggressive sell is not very professional when it comes to law firms, and many people are turned off by the overly direct marketing techniques, especially if they’ve just suffered an accident or injury (or divorce or bankruptcy, etc.). Education-based marketing makes it clear that they might not need a lawyer and that they have the power to choose the best lawyer for their needs. You look like a concerned legal professional, not the dreaded ambulance chaser.
- It focuses on the client, not you. Instead of trying to get your website visitors to do something, first, understand that they have needs. Their first need, when faced with a legal issue, is accurate, clear information. Fill that need and they will likely trust you to help them further.
- It showcases your knowledge. What better way to show that you know what you’re talking about than to talk about your areas of expertise? When you hand your potential client a book, a newsletter, or a video filled with great information, you are establishing yourself as an experienced, smart, and resourceful person—and an authority in your field.
- It’s naturally search engine friendly. When people search for attorneys, they type in questions. They are looking for information before they are looking for attorneys. Filling your site with information means attracting search engine users.
Education-based marketing is smart for online law firm marketing, smart for attorneys, and great for potential clients. What’s not to love?