You’ve already got your website up and running, and you even have a good grasp of the basic technology to takes to run it. Now you’re ready to apply some tech-savvy to your most precious asset: the List.
A truly innovative legal marketing strategy will always include a way to easily (and automatically) organize the “master list”—the names and contact information of all of your past customers, inquiring customers, and those who have permitted you to send them your marketing materials. But how can you choose which database is best suited to your law firm’s needs?
When choosing a customer software database, make sure that it is:
- Automated. Your software should automatically “grab” contact information that your customers supply via online forms and add them to your client database.
- Easy to use. You can’t be everywhere at once, and even your web maven won’t be able to handle every online issue as it happens. Your staff must be trained on how to use the software (before it is implemented) and know the basics, like adding new names, finding clients, and sorting contact information.
- Customizable. In addition to sending notices without your intervention, your software must have the option to respond to each new inquiry in a personalized way.
- Compatible. Your software should have a way to interface with your existing client management system to import all of the contact information you have collected over the years.
- Sortable. You should be able to sort your contact list by any criteria you choose, such as the type of contact (referring attorney, vendor, past client, etc.), so they can all be marketed to separately.
- Trackable. The only way to know if you’re getting a good return on your investment is to track which of your pieces of marketing your customer used to find you. A good database will track the source of the information for you, giving you hard data that affects your future marketing investments.
If done correctly, your database can do much of the behind-the-scenes work for you, taking you even closer to your ideal work-life balance.